Posted: Apr 7 2012, 10:31 PM
Quote Post

Fresh Meat

Male Human Surge
Student
Guildless
player: Slip
5 posts

The sun filtered gently down through the buildings and onto the school's grounds. Tarron still found the sight odd. To look up so high and realize that his house - his world - was at the top of one of those huge peaks was thrilling. The noise here was so much louder, the clouds thicker; everything felt new and so unreal.

And, of course, there was the fact there were people his age around. Lots of them, in fact. The building style was also new - in fact everything here was new. He was picking up smells he'd never smelled before, too, and had to fight the urge to go find out what they were.

Still, a tinge of disappointment clung to his otherwise stellar mood. He'd wanted to go on the trip to Valorous. He'd even made plans to try and stow away on-board, but his mother had forbidden him completely from it, for some reason. He couldn't see why; surely a diplomatic mission was something he was supposed to attend. Their family had ties to Valorous far back in their blood; shouldn't they be willing to assist their relatives?

She hadn't listened to a word he'd said, and so that was that.

Still, university! It was exciting, and Tarron was enjoying himself so far. The looks he got aside, exploring the school on his own was quite fun, though people seemed surprised when he stuck his head into lecture halls or laboratories. Perhaps that wasn't the done thing.

He was supposed to meet with one of the Professors, so as to get a proper introduction to the school - or, at least, those were his instructions for the day. He wasn't exactly sure where he was supposed to meet this man, though he had plenty of time until the meeting -

One of the school's bells starteed ringing, and Tarron leaned on the wall so he could retreive the slip of paper he'd been handed. He did not, it appeared, have plenty of time anymore. The halls were filling with students as some of the lectures let out, and the crowd was a wall of smells that almost addled his wits.

He took off down the hall, following the crudely described path to the offices. He knocked over a few students as he headed by, and he barely ntoiced in his rush.

Scooting to a stop outside the door, he slid on the floor, ending up catching the frame in one hand and pulling at the wood hard enough that it splinted the frame slightly. Tarron took a moment to look at the crack in surprise, before he knocked and opened the door, sticking his head inside.

"Professor St. Laurence?" He asked, even as he glanced at the paper and the number on the door. "Hyskos, sir. I was told to come and see you."

--------------------
PM
^
Jean-Luc St. Laurence
 Posted: Apr 9 2012, 09:51 PM
Quote Post

Quoth the Raven

Male Human
Professor
Guildless
player: Lily
161 posts

There was a cold and troubled on the other side of that door. One with spider like fingers that outlined the face of woman long gone from this world, and a man that made it simple enough to truly understand what it was to suffer. His office one of the largest was in one of the towers of the castle like university, the old stone, and the high ceilings made it seem as though everything should have been haunted. Pictures and paintings lined the walls and littered the desk as well the mantle of the great fireplace that took up a great deal of the eastern wall. The fire inside it had long since died, the embers still smoking as the day had turned out to be warm enough to have little reason to add another log. The smoke whispered up through the chimney like a soul as it escaped from the fiery hell, or perhaps from this man’s wrath.

The suffering soul parted from his desk, moved without thought or worry of the work he left behind to join the voice at the door. He moved as if he were haunting the floor, one foot before the other, and the fine leather of his boot striking against the stone as if to count the steps between. Dressed in only the best, Jean-Luc’s attire was befitting of a king, some stately lord of years gone by, but it was the long length of his raven black hair that always set him apart.

“Good afternoon,” He spoke with a false smile, the sort that was painted on the masks of all politicians who wore one face for the world, and a much more sinister one behind doors. The Madame Adair, his very vision of perfection wore it so well, and her condition prevented her from being so two faced, but as his anger swelled inside his chest he worried they were past the point of no return.

“Welcome, Young Master. Welcome to the Thames University.” Thickly he laced the honey in his voice, masking the venom behind the hiss to which he greeted the young man, and even extended a hand like a king as if expecting it to be kissed. At the last moment he turned his fingers to shake if returned, and on the long boney fingers of the Professor a ring of ruby red held the black silhouette of a raven that marked the St. Laurence name. A ring that someday would pass to my son, He often told, but as of late he worried if Nightingale would ever find his place seated in the legacy. He worried the day would come to which he would be forced to end Gale’s life—just as he gave it.

“Please, you may call me Jean-Luc on such intimate sessions as this,” With that he offered the young man a bow, and like every polished perfect aristocrat he ventured to collect his cane, needing the assistance more than he liked to put on.

“Are you excited for your first day?” He mused, and for a small instant a crack in the fine mask he wore followed through. His eyes so blue they looked black for a moment looked kind as he thought back of his own youth, and when the old Professor Viscreed offered him his first tour.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterICQAOL
^
Tarron Hyskos
 Posted: Apr 11 2012, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Fresh Meat

Male Human Surge
Student
Guildless
5 posts

Tarron took Lean-Luc's hand without a mote of hesitation, his handshake firm and energetic. To others, the dark aura of the office and man might have thrown them off; to Tarron, he didn't pick up on them in the slightest - not really, anyway. He wasn't the sort to recognize subtlety, not yet at least...and the dark aura wasn't exactly unusual. His mother walked around their home with one all the time. Heck, she could probably send her dark aura out to terrorize her guests when she couldn't be bothered.

"Thank you," he said, his tone calm but body language betraying his interest and energy; even as he stood there he looked around, adjust his waistcoat and otherwise looked ready to take off. "I'm glad to be here - it's marvelous, so far."

He returned the bow with a polite nod of his head and waited politely and patiently as the man fetched his cane, stepping backwards to give him room to do so.

Tarron smiled widely, however, at the man's last question; inadvertently revealing his slightly pointed teeth. "Definitely, sir!" He said, bouncing on the ball of his feet for a moment. "I've never been a proper school before. Was tutored at home, you know - it's not quite the same, is it?" He was beaming just a little too much, he realized, and forcibly calmed himself down.

"Sorry, sir," he said. "Err, Jean-Luc. I'm afraid I haven't ever been on the grounds before or had this kind of education. It's all a bit..." He wouldn't use the term overwhelming - not yet. "It's all very interesting. I hardly know what I want to study, and everyone else seems so focused."

--------------------
PM
^
Jean-Luc St. Laurence
 Posted: Apr 14 2012, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Quoth the Raven

Male Human
Professor
Guildless
161 posts

With the way the boy shook his hand he had to smile, the sort that pulled on his heart with a burst of familiarity. It could have been Nightingale there before him, only a year ago, but Jean-Luc prayed that this boy wouldn’t follow in the same path.

I’ve never been to a proper school before. Was tutored at home, you know – it’s not quite the same, is it?

“No, it truly isn’t, but you will learn truly it is not so hard once you get a good handle on things, Young Master Hyskos. Let us start your tour hmm?” The Professor took up his cane again using it to propel himself forward to lock his office door, and from behind the thick door he could almost hear the laughter.

Did you see that thing? He had a tail! Horns! Ugly. What is a creature like that doing at our school? Times hadn’t changed, not one bit, and suddenly the Professor felt a large amount of guilt for ever thinking it was a good idea to subject Nightingale to such taunts. He’s a freak. Albino. Freak. Probably fucked his way into the Professor’s life. Horrid monsters.

Far too long he sheltered his image from the public, it was nearly a year since he changed from the eerie old crow, but as Jean-Luc threw open the door—the air sweeping in through the hall and catching life to his raven strands, he peered at the students like a reaper simply waiting for their souls.

“Come, Young Master.” He spoke to Tarron but peered down at the bullies who now trembled in their place. “Tell me about your Mother. It’s been many years since last I saw her, or you for that matter. Though I doubt you would remember me. You caught a fever, and were unable to get out of bed.”

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterICQAOL
^
Miranda Winters
 Posted: Apr 15 2012, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

Fresh Meat

Female Human Screw
Lieutenant
The Acidine Guard
2 posts

As he followed the Professor, Tarron's ears perked up - almost literally - at the voices coming from the other side of the door. He had very good hearing, and he frowned slightly at the comments. Mostly he was confused. Wasn't it obvious what he was? These students were studying medicine, some of them might even become Makers. It shouldn't have been a surprise.

How odd. His ugliness was a given - he'd grown used to it, even - but he wasn't a creature.

The Professor threw the door open, and the voices stopped as silence enveloped the room, the students staring at Jean-Luc with what Tarron assumed was the usual way one looked at Professors - an almost unmasked gaze of fear and worry. Made sense to him. The man walking in front of him was, after all, capable of ruining a student's dreams with a simple filing of paper. Tarron would have to be sure and show him the proper respect in the future.

Tarron looked back to Jean-Luc, but not after flashing the students a bright and cheerful smile. "Mother? She's doing well enough, I suppose," he said, catching up with the Professor.

He vaguely remembered the name, of course, but how often had he been kept in his rooms while she said he was sick? He'd been ill throughout most of his early teens, if his mother's words were true. He'd felt just fine, but apparently the sprouting of horns had made him terribly susceptible to common illnesses and he'd had to stay in his chambers. All for his benefit, of course.

"I'm afraid I don't, sir," he said, politely. "But Mother speaks highly of you and your work. And she -" Tarron had trouble, sometimes, with explaining his mother. She wasn't a nice person. Even the naive boy in him knew that. But she had her reasons, he was sure.

"She doesn't say that about many people," he finished, slightly distracted for a moment with one of the paintings on the walls. "She's been very busy lately, though. I haven't spoken with her for a while, so I'm not sure exactly what she's been working on - some project for the Makers, no doubt. Were you ever involved in that kind of thing?"

--------------------
PM
^
Tarron Hyskos
 Posted: Apr 15 2012, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Fresh Meat

Male Human Surge
Student
Guildless
5 posts

((Ignore the duplicate, apparently I click on the wrong name in the drop down and didn't notice....))

As he followed the Professor, Tarron's ears perked up - almost literally - at the voices coming from the other side of the door. He had very good hearing, and he frowned slightly at the comments. Mostly he was confused. Wasn't it obvious what he was? These students were studying medicine, some of them might even become Makers. It shouldn't have been a surprise.

How odd. His ugliness was a given - he'd grown used to it, even - but he wasn't a creature.

The Professor threw the door open, and the voices stopped as silence enveloped the room, the students staring at Jean-Luc with what Tarron assumed was the usual way one looked at Professors - an almost unmasked gaze of fear and worry. Made sense to him. The man walking in front of him was, after all, capable of ruining a student's dreams with a simple filing of paper. Tarron would have to be sure and show him the proper respect in the future.

Tarron looked back to Jean-Luc, but not after flashing the students a bright and cheerful smile. "Mother? She's doing well enough, I suppose," he said, catching up with the Professor.

He vaguely remembered the name, of course, but how often had he been kept in his rooms while she said he was sick? He'd been ill throughout most of his early teens, if his mother's words were true. He'd felt just fine, but apparently the sprouting of horns had made him terribly susceptible to common illnesses and he'd had to stay in his chambers. All for his benefit, of course.

"I'm afraid I don't, sir," he said, politely. "But Mother speaks highly of you and your work. And she -" Tarron had trouble, sometimes, with explaining his mother. She wasn't a nice person. Even the naive boy in him knew that. But she had her reasons, he was sure.

"She doesn't say that about many people," he finished, slightly distracted for a moment with one of the paintings on the walls. "She's been very busy lately, though. I haven't spoken with her for a while, so I'm not sure exactly what she's been working on - some project for the Makers, no doubt. Were you ever involved in that kind of thing?"

--------------------
PM
^
Jean-Luc St. Laurence
 Posted: Apr 18 2012, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

Quoth the Raven

Male Human
Professor
Guildless
161 posts

“Ignore them, Young Master. They seem to make it a goal to inspect new students. Soon they will be your best allies. My own child once suffered their wrath, but it was his success that had them finally let go.” Jean-Luc didn’t know the truth, he wasn’t aware that Gale had fought his way through the cages to silence his tormentors. The Fight Club gave him a reputation that reached the halls of the Thames, and the summoning of Spencer’s first demon gave him all the proof he needed—that he wasn’t to be taken lightly.

Tarron went on about his mother, but Jean-Luc hardly listened. His own mind going to wherever his little family might be on their war party, and he couldn’t believe he let them go. There wasn’t stopping Nightingale, he was a grown man now, who clearly wasn’t cut out for the University, but Minna? He should have put his foot down, put his heart out for her to feel it break when she left. He just acquired her hand, and now it was taken from him once more.

“Your mother is a very respected woman, Tarron. I will take that compliment as if it were a badge of honor.” With that the clicking of his boots against the stone, and the tapping of his cane as they moved was the only sounds that carried down the hall as he worried through the next question.

Were you ever involved in that kind of thing?

“Once,” He answered truthfully though that ‘one’ time took nearly five years of his life, and 19 if you included the upbringing of Gale. “Though, as of late I have felt inspired.” He turned his sinister set of black eyes on the boy, “Is that what you are attending our school for Mr. Hyskos?” Standing now at the entrance of the one of the lecture halls, not a sound came from the room indicating it was empty, and Jean-Luc got a good look at the young man. The fine outline of his face, the horns…the tail. He wondered of the boy’s strength, wondered if the boy’s mother had finally succeeded where he failed in making an army of surges. Was she successful in keeping the boy obedient…

“Tarron, this is one of my lecture halls. You will report here the first day, and we’ll have a proper introduction, and right through there…” He pointed with his cane, “Is the school’s library. A series of stairs will lead you to the following rooms, but as you can see I try to avoid steps at all cost. So forgive me.”

Jean-Luc lifted a ghost like hand, spiderlike fingers didn’t touch the boy—no never touch, but he did keep them under his chin a moment as the pure presence of them being there would cause the boy to lift his face so that he could better see in his eyes.

“Marvelous. Tell me Tarron…about yourself, while we venture on?”

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterICQAOL
^

Topic Options REPLY  TOPIC

Skin based on Floral Lullabies by June of Innovation Designs. | Email Admin | Legal

RPG-D Shadowplay Topsites Caution 2.0 redcarpet&&rebellion. NEVERLAND Total Drama Website - Directory of the Best Role-Play Sites
Roleplay Gateway

Full page: cbox.clockworkrpg.com